Article By Chris Chew, Singapore based AMFPT Certified Master Trainer
Site to Friend
Lose Fats - Gain Confidence When You Lose Weight
- "How do I lose 5 kg or 30 kg?"
- "How do I gain some muscles and tone up sexily?"
It is simple. Yes, you heard it right, it is simple. All it requires is your commitment and discipline on your part. Do I hear you say "Yes" to that? If so, here goes.
- NUTRITION - Physiologically, you have to burn 7000 calories to lose 1 kg or 2.2 pounds. You can lose those weight through a combination of decreasing caloric intake to a healthy level and expending calories through physical fitness activities.
For example, let's say you currently take in 2,000 calories a day. If you decrease that by 300 (half plate of chicken rice) and added 200 calories worth of exercises a day (25 minute jog), you would be at a 500 caloric deficit. So, eating 300 less calories a day and expending 200 calories a day through physical fitness activities will result in a net of half kg lost per week. This can be done too by eating food that you enjoy! Just that simple as promised isn't it?
Do eat six small meals a day. This will keep your metabolism engine humming throughout the entire day and at the same time, your body will not starve thus will not conserve too much fats . At the same time, as your body is being fed continuously the nutrients that you eat are being utilized more effectively.
- WEIGHT TRAINING - Never embark on a fitness or lose weight program without lifting weights because on a diet or cardio only program, you will lose some muscle as well. When that happens, your metabolic rate will slow down and fats will be conserved. You want to lose fat , not gain weight with fats . Furthermore, your goal of being sexily attractive and desirable is also defeated because without the muscles, when you lose weight, you will only end up a smaller version of what you were before without any nice sexy curves and muscle tone.
As a beginner, do workout three days per week on alternate days for about 45-60 minutes with weights. Form and technique is important. If you do not know how to workout with weights, check out some of the articles or subscribe to free fitness tips newsletters at Free Fitness Tips. You may also engage the services of personal trainers at Personal Trainer. Perform exercises for the entire body -- doing about 2-3 sets per body part for 8-12 repetitions. Why do you want to build muscle besides just looking gorgeous and brimming with fitness? Well, another reason is that for every kg of muscle gain , the body burn an additional 50-80 calories per day! You burn fat even when you are sleeping! Interesting isn't it?
Your body will feel firmer, stronger and you will see muscles building up within weeks. Weights are needed to sculpt the type of body that you desire. Just 45 minutes to an hour in the gym will do. Your body needs to recover and if you lift intensely, you will produce a hormone called cortisol which can destroy muscle cells after an hour or so of intensive lifting. What's more, you are burning more calories at the same time and because of the intensity of the exercises you are performing, your body will still burn fats hours after you have stopped lifting weight. Below is a list of recommended exercises you can choose from for each body part:
CARDIOVASCULAR EXERCISE - Commonly called cardio workout . Perform cardio 3-4 days per week for 20 minutes. Try to stay in a range of 65- 80percent of your Maximum Heart Rate. Your maximum heart rate is 220 minus your age. In addition, change your mode of cardio every few weeks. The body is designed to adapt, so you want to change your workout frequently. Cardiovascular exercise will help speed your metabolism (power walking, jogging, swimming and biking). . It works like magic when combined with weight training . Try different forms of cardio or you can even play active sports. Find an activity that you enjoy! For a very effective weight loss and lose fat cardio workout , read this fitness tip Lose Weight Lose Fat Fast!
- Leg muscle workout -- squats, lunges, leg extensions, leg curl, calf raise, stiff legged dead lifts
- Chest/Pecs/Pectoral muscle workout -- bench press, incline press, dumbbell fly, push-ups
- Back muscle workout -- dead-lifts, chin ups, pull-ups, seated row, barbell rows, pullovers
- Shoulders/Deltoids/Delts muscle workout -- military press, lateral raise, front raise, shrugs
- Biceps muscle workout -- hammer curl, dumbbell curl, barbell curl, concentration curl
- Triceps muscle workout -- triceps kickbacks, diamond pushups, press-downs, dips, tricep extensions
- Abs/Abdominal muscle workout -- bicycle crunch, basic crunch, reverse crunch, knee-ups, the plank, hanging leg raise
SMALL LIFESTYLE CHANGE - When your lifestyle changes slightly, your weight loss goals will fall into place. You have to start thinking in terms of improving your health, fitness, nutrition and exercise habits .
Forget about fad diets or popping diet pills or slimming pills which usually cause drastic reduction of caloric intake. These diets are difficult to stick to and because of the massive caloric deficit, your body will go into the famine mode and conserve fats for emergency use. Your body will also cannibalize your muscles for energy and that means a slowing down of your fat burning metabolism. You will sooner or later hit a plateau and when you are off the diet or stop taking diet and slimming pills , all your extra kilos will come right back.
Each day, will take you a step closer to weight loss and build muscle goals. Your general fitness and health will also improve day by day. It doesn't matter whether your goal is to lose 10kg or 30. Once you have this "lifestyle change" habits, it will get a lot easier.
GOALS - To make your goals work, write them down! Make them measurable and realistic. For example, a short-term goal might be, "My goal is to lose half kg per week for the next 4 weeks." A long-term goal might be "I will lose 20kg by ......" And then set out the steps on what you are supposed to do and do then it.
Review your goals each week to reinforce them within yourself. If you experience a setback or standstill with your goal, don't panic and give up! Then you will be richly rewarded by owning an attractive and desirable body that others talk about!
And that's it. Your free fitness tips to weight loss and build muscles. Simple? Yes. But for it to work, your commitment is crucial. SFO
[back to top]